Saturday, May 11, 2013

Quandary


Quandary: Does an ambivalence towards the importance of the Arts in general in contemporary society affect the ability of Art Therapy to stand on its own as a profession?As I write this let me make it clear that I don't believe that the arts are fully undervalued in society: I believe that there are some very dynamic and exciting movements going on in the arts, perhaps now in some ways more than ever. With that said, I have noticed in some art therapists (and I know a lot) a wounding around self as artist and the worth of that self that I believe impacts their ability to fully claim the "Art" in Art Therapy as worthwhile and valid. I have thought often about offering groups or classes that focus on healing this wounding in art therapists as I believe this healing is essential to us moving forward as a profession. What do other art therapists think? 

No comments:

Post a Comment